You are what you eat, and so am I.

28.2.10

Sunday Morning: Classic Oatmeal

Classic Oatmeal

I had oatmeal twice this weekend. I had it Saturday morning at a yoga retreat, with lots of do-it-yourself toppings. I told Marshall about it, and he said it sounded good. It did, so I decided to make it again.

1 cup whole oats
2 cups water

Mix together in a medium pot/saucepan. Once boiling, turn down to medium or low. If you leave it on high (as I did) the bottom will burn or at least stick.

1 apple
1 handful dried cranberries
1 handful date pieces
Several dashes of cinnamon

Cut up the apple into bite size pieces. Mix the apples, cranberries, and dates into the oats. Cook everything until the water is absorbed and the oats are soft. Feel free to try a bite if you aren't sure if the oats are soft yet. It takes maybe 10 minutes. I wasn't paying attention. I will next time.

Maple syrup
Brown sugar
Milk or soymilk

Serve warm with any of the toppings. If it sits around too long the oatmeal gets really thick and almost rubbery. It still tastes good, but it looks funny. This combination of fruits is sweet and tangy - delicious!


Serves: 2
Total time: maybe 20-30 minutes
Leftovers: none. We ate it all up!

No comments:

All contents on this page copyright (c) Alegra Marcel Bartzat 2007, 2008.