You are what you eat, and so am I.

19.3.10

Friday: Quinoa and Butternut Squash "Salad"

I needed something healthy. I needed something green. I was back in the same predicament I'd faced earlier this week: limited time, nothing fresh in the fridge, and not enough patience to start from scratch. So again, I decided pre-cut vegetables are still a better option than a restaurant or a frozen meal. This time it was butternut squash and collards. I didn't even know they made pre-cut collards; I have to admit that I was actually kind of excited when I made that discovery.

This is a salad like a pasta or potato salad.

Quinoa and Butternut Squash Salad

1 1/2 cups quinoa
3 cups water
2 bouillon cube (or replace water AND bouillon with broth)



Put the quinoa, water, and bouillon in a small or medium pot. Bring to a boil, and then turn to the lowest possible heat. Let cook about 20 minutes while you prepare the rest.

1 bag cubed butternut squash (or about 1/2 whole squash)
1/2 bag chopped collard green (or about 1/2 bunch)
olive oil for pan



If using whole veges, chop up the squash. Mix the squash in a bowl with some olive oil (or other oil). Then place on cookie sheet. Put in oven; turn oven to 375. It is not necessary to pre-heat. Cook about 15 minutes, then add the collards (chop just before if necessary). Cook another 5-10 minutes. I put half of the collards on the baking sheet, and half on top of the quinoa. Those in the oven get crispy, while those on top of the quinoa are steamed and softer.



4 mini red bell peppers (or 1/2-1 large)
olive oil
balsamic vinegar (I used half regular and half white)
a few dashes cayenne powder
salt and pepper

Chop the mini bell pepper. Remove all the ingredients from heat. Mix together in a large bowl, and add bell pepper, oil, vinegar, cayenne, salt, and pepper - all to taste! Mix well. Taste often to make sure you have enough salty, spicy, peppery, sour for your preference. It's a beautiful salad!



Marshall says: He wasn't home... he would probably have added more salt and another dressing. But I snarfed it up as is. Yum! I feel so healthy after eating it, too!
Time: about 30-45 (would probably be about 60 if you had to chop, too)
Leftovers: Lots! This recipe probably serves 4 (large servings).

No comments:

All contents on this page copyright (c) Alegra Marcel Bartzat 2007, 2008.