You are what you eat, and so am I.

6.3.10

Saturday Cooking: Quiche, Soup, and Pesto

We were going over to our friends' house. They recently had a baby, and we had offered to bring dinner over entirely, but they insisted on making food as well. It definitely made for a more intimate dinner, but it also made me feel like I couldn't just whip something together last minute. Of course that was exactly what I did anyway.

I often like to make Frenchy things for my French friends. I had considered making the French Egg Rolls, but I'd forgotten to buy more puff pastry. At the point when I actually started to think about making something, I had about 90 minutes before we had to leave the house. It needed to be fast and good. I didn't want them to know that I hadn't thought about this meal until an hour and half before our dinner.

I rummaged around the fridge, wishing I'd been to the store more recently. I had some different veges, but nothing to cook them with. I had even been to the farmer's market that morning, but all I got was vegetables (not surprisingly). Grain standbys like rice or quinoa felt too simple. I did remember I had bought some eggs, so I thought I could make a quiche, which of course had the benefit of being French. I also had some pre-cut butternut squash, which never lasts that long so I wanted to use it. I'd never heard of winter squash in quiche, but it sounded interesting. I decided to go for it, keeping the French theme in mind.


Butternut Squash & Blue Cheese Quiche

1 package butternut squash chunks (could also cut from whole squash, probably about 1/2 a squash)
2 very small onions (or 1/2 large onion)
olive oil
pie pans



Luckily I read the instructions on the butternut squash package, and noticed I would need to cook the squash before I added the eggs. So I put the squash in a couple of tin pie pans (I was making two so we could have one for this week) with a lot of olive oil. I also had some fancy sweet onions from the farmers market, so I chopped two of those up (they are small, like a shallot), and added one to each tin. I baked those for about 20-25 minutes at 400F while I prepared the filling. I didn't even pre-heat the oven (this is less important when roasting veges, but more important for baking things like cookies).

8 eggs (for two quiches I actually recommend 10-12)
1/2 package of blue cheese (more or less to taste, or replace with a milder cheese if you prefer)
Bac-un bits
Salt
Pepper

Mix all the remaining ingredients together. I used a whisk; a spoon would do. I tried to pour this into the tins while they were in the oven, but started to make a mess. So I recommend taking the tins out of the oven, then pouring half of the mixture on each tin. Then back in the oven. I dropped the temperature to 350F at that point, and cooked them for about 20-25 minutes.

Tomato Soup with Dumplings

I saw a recipe to make homemade tomato soup with dumplings. I knew I didn't have time to make such a thing from scratch, but I felt the quiche was going to turn out small, since I didn't actually double the number of eggs in it (see ingredients above). I also had a couple cans of Campbells tomato soup I'd inherited, and I wasn't sure I would use them anytime soon. I decided to make a semi-instant version of the recipe I'd spied. I asked Marshall to help, since I was afraid I'd run out of time. Also I doubled this recipe so I could have some for this week.



2 cans condensed tomato soup
2 cans water
8 tablespoons tiki masala seasoning (paprika, cumin, coriander, ginger, chile, garlic, turmeric, black pepper, etc) or replace with 4 tablespoons of your favorite mixed seasoning (Spike, Mrs. Dash, etc)
1 tomato, chopped up

Add all these ingredients together in a soup pot. Heat until simmering. Considering adding another can of water if it looks thick. (I did not, but I think it would have helped cook the dumplings better.)



2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons herbal seasoning (salt, pepper, onion, garlic, paprika, dill, parsley, etc); you can use your favorite all-purpose seasoning (Spike, Mrs. Dash, etc)
4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons flax meal (optional - it's good for you)
Butter (I used about 1/3 of a stick; next time I'm definitley using more)
6-10 tablespoons milk (I used plain soymilk)

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Then chop up the butter with a knife, add to the dry ingredients, and use your hands to break the butter into small bits and mix with the flour mixture.

Add half the milk, mix by hand. Keep adding tablespoons of milk into the mixture just barely sticks together. Once it does, form small balls of dough by hand. They need to stay together, but don't press on them too hard. I think doing that made ours cook kind of dry (I think the broth couldn't really get inside).

Drop the dumplings into the soup and cook for 20 minutes. Keep temperature low and don't cover the pot - mine boiled over and made a big mess! Also stir frequently and add water if needed - our dumplings stuck to the bottom of the pot.

Pesto

While I was at it, I went ahead and made the pesto I was meaning to make all week. I had bought a large bunch of basil, and it was starting to wilt. Pesto is really easy if you have a food processor. If you don't, a blender will do, but it it takes a little more pushing down into the blades.

1 large bunch basil
olive oil
parmesan cheese
nuts

I rinsed and then used scissors to cut the basil leaves into smaller pieces and take them off the stems. I put those in the small food processor. I poured in oil until it covered the leaves and started to cover the bottom of the food processor. I added a super small handful of pine nuts and a medium handful of walnuts. Then the food processor was really full I blended it up. Then I grated some parmesan off a block... I don't know how much. I grated up a piece the size of half a deck of cards or so. Then I blended one more time in the food processor (it got smaller after the leaves were made into paste, so there was room again). Voila! I divided it into two baby food jars, stuck one in the fridge, one in the freezer.


Marshall says: The dumplings were too dry. The soup wasn't good. Let's not make it again. However, the quiche was good. The friends said everything was good, but they might have been being polite. I thought it was all great, and I am looking forward to the fact that I get to eat all the leftover soup! I do agree the dumplings were dry, but they were flavorful, and if you cut them up and cover them with soup they are moist enough for me.
Serves: 8 (including leftovers)
Total time: 90 minutes (maybe closer to 2 hours if you don't have someone to help)
Leftovers: 2-4 servings soup & dumplings, 1 quiches (2-4 servings, depending on size) - because I double everything knowing we'd only eat half. And of course two jars of pesto!

No comments:

All contents on this page copyright (c) Alegra Marcel Bartzat 2007, 2008.