You are what you eat, and so am I.

13.3.10

Saturday Lunch: Mom's Huevos Rancheros

So, after a breakfast of tea and banana chips, I felt I needed something homemade and hearty for lunch. My mom ended up making Huevos Rancheros.

Can I count my mom's recipe on my own blog? Is that wrong? These are the kinds of things that keep me up at night, wondering if I have violated some kind of moral law of blogging. I think since I make my Huevos Rancheros really differently, I will include her recipe and then vow to make my own soon, and post that one as well. Plus it was really more of a group effort: my mom and I shopped together, I made guacamole, Marshall chopped something...


Mom's Huevos Rancheros

Oil or butter for cooking
1/2-1 onion
1-2 cloves garlic
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can green chiles (Rotel)
Mexican spices (cumin, garlic, oregano, chile powder, paprika, etc)

eggs (1-2 per person)

First you cook the onion in oil or butter until it is soft. Then you add the canned goods, spices, garlic. Cook that up until it is hot and bubbling. Then bring it a gentle simmer. Add the eggs gently, so they are laying whole on top of the tomato sauce. Cover and cook them for about 5 minutes until the whites are cooked, but the yolks are still soft. This is hard to time; my mom does a great job, but my yolks are always cooked through.

corn tortillas
chopped cilantro
grated cheese (cheddar or similar)

In the mean time, warm some corn tortillas (in the microwave is fine). Once the eggs are cooked, serve on top of the tortilla on a large plate (sauce is runny). Add grated cheese and chopped cilantro on top if you like.

Fast Guacamole

Avocados
Salsa

There are many ways to make guacamole. My fast shortcut to great guacamole is just to take ripe avocados and cut or mash them up (I like mine chunky), and add my favorite salsa to taste. I used 4 small avocados and about 4-6 tablespoons of salsa.

Time: 20-30 minutes total
Serves: Three of us had 2 eggs each
Leftovers: none (not recommended, since egg whites get into tomato sauce, and guacamole turns brown)

No comments:

All contents on this page copyright (c) Alegra Marcel Bartzat 2007, 2008.