You are what you eat, and so am I.

25.3.10

Thursday: Healthy Ramen

Making a pack of ramen into a healthy meal is easy. I remember the first time I did it in grad school. I was feeling depressed that all I had for lunch was ramen. But I had some carrots, which I thought I could throw in. Then I found some celery. And some ginger root I had in the freezer and grated into the broth. Then I thought I could add some miso paste. And some seaweed. In the end, it was my own private stone soup! Delicious, fresh, fast, and healthy! Now I buy the natural ramen when it's on sale (otherwise it's too expensive), and make it for dinner. These are the baked ramen noodles (not fried), and they don't have MSG or anything unnatural. They are still high in salt, but otherwise pretty good for ya.

2 packs ramen noodles & spices (one was ginger-lemon grass, the other miso-seaweed)
2 carrots
1-2 leaves collards
some diced onions (I used a spoonful of the ones in the bag - I hate chopping onions)
2 small mini-bell peppers (or any type of pepper)
3 small pinches of 3 types of seaweed
Broth from soaking seaweed

Cook the carrots, collards, and onions for 3-5 minutes first, using the soaking broth. Then add the peppers and seaweed and spice packs. Cook another 2-3 minutes. Then add the ramen noodles for 1-2 minutes. Voila!



Marshall says: It's like Ramen, but ... healthy!
Alegra says: Good, but probably would have been better with more ginger!

No comments:

All contents on this page copyright (c) Alegra Marcel Bartzat 2007, 2008.