You are what you eat, and so am I.

21.3.10

Sunday Cake

Coconut-Kumquat Cake

I had some kumquats I needed to use up. You can only eat so many of those straight. I had also recently purchased two cans of coconut milk, thinking I was out, but I put them away I saw two more cans of coconut milk! I don't use coconut milk that quickly, so I was wondering if I could find a coconut-kumquat recipe. I thought that seemed really unlikely so I was actually just searching for a kumquat recipes... lo and behold I found a recipe that used both!

I mostly just followed the recipe from "Kumquat Growers."

1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut, toasted
2 cups all-purpose flour (I used white whole wheat, a lighter version of whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk (I used the whole can...a little more than a cup)
4 tablespoons coconut oil
4 large eggs, preferably at room temperature
2 1/4 cups sugar (I used turbinado sugar)
1/2 cup kumquats, with the rind (I did not de-seed, I just food processed thoroughly)
2 tablespoons sweet white wine (replaced the orange and lemon juice)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

I followed the same instructions, toasting the coconut and heating up the milk. Seemed like extra steps, but I did them anyway. I omitted the icing entirely.

In the end, it was a little heavy. Probably the combination of extra liquid (whole can of milk instead of just 1 cup), and the whole wheat flour. But mostly I think it was the extra liquid, and if Id cooked a little longer it probably would have been better. It was still tasty if you heated it up for 15 seconds in the micorwave before eating. The heat makes it a little "lighter" tasting.

No comments:

All contents on this page copyright (c) Alegra Marcel Bartzat 2007, 2008.