You are what you eat, and so am I.

20.3.10

Saturday Potluck: Funny Sushi

I wanted to make something that would be popular at the potluck I was going to... but I also didn't want to make a trip to the grocery, nor did I want to make something that would be super expensive, because it is a very large potluck and I wanted to make a good volume. I happened to have rice and nori, so I thought I could make sushi. I didn't have any of the normal fillings, but I recalled some very weird sushi rolls I used to make in college, and thought I'd revisit some of those recipes.


The first thing to do is the cook the rice. White rice is pretty quick, maximum 20 minutes. I made a large recipe - leftovers are easy to use.

2.5 cups white rice
5 cups water
about 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar

Put it all in a pot, bring it to a boil, then reduce to low heat. Cook another 10-15 minutes. Turn the heat off after all the water is gone and let it sit a while. Then add the seasoned rice vinegar and mix well. You are supposed to use short grain white rice - it's the stickiest. But I used long grain white this time, and I"ve used brown rice plenty of times in the past.

The next step was to gather some fresh greens from the garden. That is a euphemistic way of saying that I picked some of the dandelion greens that are running rampant. This was also a chance to do some weeding, as I'd promised Marshall I would do while he was gone.

1 colander full of dandelion greens (well washed)
1 package baked tofu (savory flavor)
1 large ripe avocado
1 package nori seaweed



Cut the tofu into thin strips. Slice the avocado thinly as well. I like to slice it in the skin, then remove it with a spoon. It works pretty well. Lay out a large piece of nori. Take a handful of rice and spread it out thinly over about 3/4 of the nori sheet. (You leave a little strip across the top without rice, and fill the rest.) Lay a thin row of tofu, avocado, and dandelion greens all in a strip in the middle of the rice. Roll it up tightly and then use a little water to seal the nori to itself.



Serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger.

Potluck says: It was gone in less than five minutes. That's a hit!
Time: 60+ (rice takes 20 minutes, rolling takes 20-30, picking greens takes 10-20)
Leftovers: I kept one roll uncut, wrapped in saran wrap. I can cut it and have it for lunch tomorrow or this week. I also have a few servings of rice and some chopped up tofu. And a whole basketful of greens, with boatloads to clips form the yard!

No comments:

All contents on this page copyright (c) Alegra Marcel Bartzat 2007, 2008.