You are what you eat, and so am I.

9.3.10

Sunday Night: Another Salad

On Saturday I had gone to the farmer's market. I didn't buy a lot - I only had a little bit of cash. But I bought a few things, including one $4 tomato. It was a large tomato, and it was an heirloom tomato. And after trying to grow my own heirloom tomatoes last summer - which produce just a few, small, flavorless, but pretty tomatoes - I vowed to never complain about the price of heirloom tomatoes again. They are well worth it.

This tomato was also very ripe, so I knew I needed to use it this weekend. I had originally thought it was big enough tomato to make a huge caprese salad for me and Marshall. However, the next day I hadn't done that, and we were heading over to my cousin's house. I had offered to bring a salad. This could have worked out well if it had been just me, Marshall, she, and her husband (and their two very small kids), but in addition to all those people, my dad, both my aunts, my uncle, and another cousin were coming. There was no way that tomato was going to make caprese for all of us. SO I made a caprese-inspired green salad instead.


Caprese-inspired Green Salad

1 very large and ripe heirloom tomato (mine was red) - sliced into thin, small pieces
1/2 or 3/4 bag salad greens, maybe 4 ounces (I used herbal salad mix)
1 small bunch arugala (I cut these into smaller pieces - this gives it a kick like basil)
several spoonfuls green & black olives (pitted!)
1 cup grated mozzarella*
3/4 cup the best olive oil you can buy
1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

*I had wanted to use buffalo mozzarella or another fresh mozzarella in brine, and slice them really really thin, but I was in a rush at the store and all I could find was the usual "dry" mozzarella, so I bought it an grated instead. It worked just fine, and grating it (large grater) actually distributed the cheese better throughout the salad.

Once everything is cut up, you just mix it together in a large bowl - large enough that there is room for further mixing once the dressing (oil and vinegar) is added.

Marshall says: I didn't hear him say anything, but my uncle loved it! He said he could really taste the oil and vinegar and that is was nicer than anything you could get at a restaurant.
Serves: 8
Total Time: 15-20 minutes (grating the cheese took about 5 minutes)
Leftovers: I grated the whole block of cheese, so my cousin lucked out with a tupperware full of cheese for use later this week. The salad was all gone.

No comments:

All contents on this page copyright (c) Alegra Marcel Bartzat 2007, 2008.